Standing Up For The Rights Of The Wrongfully Terminated

Losing your job can be a devastating ordeal. If you and your family depend on your income to make ends meet, a sudden job loss can be especially stressful. While you may be in a state of confusion or anger about the reasons for your termination, if your employer fired you on illegal grounds, you may have legal options available.

As a Portland wrongful termination lawyer, I assist workers in defending their rights. I am attorney Efrem Lawrence, and if you have been illegally let go from your job, E.L. Law Firm can help you seek compensatory damages.

When Can You Make A Wrongful Termination Claim?

Oregon is an "at-will" employment state, which means that an employer can terminate an employee on nearly any grounds that they see fit. There are, however, several exceptions to this law, and a wrongful termination claim can be made when an employee is fired due to:

  • A disability: Disabled persons are protected under the law, and cannot be fired on the basis of their condition.
  • Whistleblowing: When an individual reports illegal or dangerous company practices to authorities, the law affords them certain protections.
  • Retaliatory actions: Employees cannot be punished for taking medical leave or reporting workplace harassment.
  • Instances of injury and workers' compensation: Your employer cannot fire you for filing a workers' compensation claim. Should you find yourself in this situation, it is best to consult with a lawyer.

When someone is illegally fired, they can gain compensation for back pay and may even receive reinstatement. If you feel as though your rights have been violated, an experienced employment lawyer like myself can help you assemble your case.

Call My Office Today To Learn More About Your Options

Taking on a former employer can be daunting, but the right help can make a world of difference. Call my office today at 503-446-6092 to schedule your consultation. I can also be reached via email, and I respond to most messages within 24 hours. Get the personal, focused legal help you need. I can help.